Master of Science (Food Technology)
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Master of Science (Food Technology) programme is designed in accordance with our motto and is affiliated to Goa University.
The Postgraduate (Degree) Department of Food Technology, set up in 2017, endeavors to develop professionals skilled at advancing the science of food. The objectives of M.Sc. (Food Technology) are as follows:
Provide students with theoretical knowledge and practical abilities required to work in the food industry, research centres, and food-related national and international organizations.
Contribute to a healthier population by imparting education and understanding of nutritional science.
Develop confident and competent individuals, able to adapt to the changing fabric of society through their professional expertise and personal traits.
The Postgraduate (Degree) Department of Food Technology contributes to the professional growth of its students by way of industrial and organizational visits. In the 3 years since its inception, the Department has established links with and arranged for student visits within and outside the State to industries, some of which have been listed below.
- New Millennium Bakers (a production unit of Monginis foods), Verna, Goa
- Food and Drug Administration, Bambolim, Goa
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Old Goa, Goa
- Atlas Fisheries, Dauji, Goa
- Sanjeevani Sahakari Sugar Production Unit, Ponda, Goa
- Mandovi Distilleries Pvt. Ltd., Madkai, Goa
- Manipal Group of Hospitals, Dona Paula, Goa
- Hindustan Coca Cola Beverages Pvt. Ltd., Verna, Goa
- Alcina Packers, Verna Goa,
- Solid Waste Management Plant, Saligao, Goa
- Festa Meat Processing Unit, Cuncolim, Goa
- Nestle India Pvt. Ltd., Bicholim and Usgao, Goa
- Palavi Agro Farms, Dhargal, Goa
Out-of-State visits to places such as the Wine Information Centre at Nasik introduced the students to vineyards, industrial alcoholic fermentation processes, grape, wine and fruit and vegetable export procedures, and national-level horticultural research environments.
The Students and faculty attendance at Seminars, Workshops, and Conferences and present their research.
For being eligible for admission to the programme leading to the degree of M.Sc Food Technology candidate must have passed the examination for a degree of Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) – three year integrated course of Goa University or an examination of any other recognized University with a minimum of 50% marks in the qualifying examination and with any one of the following specializations: B.Sc. in Food Technology/ Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics/ Microbiology/ Biotechnology/ Chemistry/ Botany/ Life Sciences/ Bio-sciences or Allied Subject.
Students obtaining degree certificates from recognized universities other than Goa University will require to obtain a Provisional Eligibility Certificate from Goa University together with a no objection certificate and a character certificate from the last college attended by them.