NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME (NSS)
The motto or watchword of the National Service Scheme is ‘Not Me But You’. This expresses the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service, as well as consideration for fellow human beings. It underlines that the welfare of an individual, is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society as a whole.
The aims and objectives of the NSS are as follows:-
- To work with/among people.
- To engage in creative or constructive social action.
- To gain skill in the exercise of democratic leadership.
- To bridge the gulf between the educated and the uneducated masses.
- To promote the will to serve the weaker section of the community.
The NSS Unit of Carmel College annually conducts a number of activities ranging from visits to old age homes, orphanages, blood donation camps, annual special camps and talks motivating NSS volunteers to be selfless in the service of the society. Further, competitions have been conducted on various occasions to commemorate events of significance.
Over the years, the NSS Unit of Carmel College has had an overwhelming response, with a big number of volunteers registering for the same.