In Physics it is our desire to understand the universe, to describe it and predict its behaviour through models, intensive observation, and meticulous experimentation.
If this fascination and curiosity strikes a chord within you, consider joining our department where we will help you to acquire the background knowledge and the skills you require in order to fulfil this desire.
The faculty members Mr. Rajendra, Dr Efrem D’Sa, Ms Pearl D’Souza and Mr. Abhjeet C. Gaonkar are passionate about teaching and committed to equipping students to meet the challenges that contemporary society faces.
The laboratory is an integral part of the physics course, not merely a supplement to the classroom teaching. It is the place for students to measure and explore the natural world.
The department regularly organizes talks /lectures /programs for the students and staff. Besides, Physics Students are encouraged to participate in lecture series, workshops, conferences and seminars outside the campus.
One of the leading subjects in the pure sciences, chemistry offers the students an ideal platform to begin exploring the composition & structure of matter. The emphasis at the under-graduate level is to give a broad coverage of most common branches of Chemistry in keeping with the inter-disciplinary nature of the subject today. The Department currently has six well qualified teaching faculty, technical staff and support staff
Our Teaching Staff:
- Cheryl Alvares
Areas of Interest: Coordination Chemistry, Solid State Chemistry, Instrumentation and spectroscopic analysis, Organometallic Chemistry, Bio-Inorganic Chemistry, Transition metal complexes
- Fatima Fernandes
Areas of Interest: Electrochemistry, Nuclear Chemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Synthetic metal oxides, Solid State Chemistry, Phase Rule
- Savia Torres
Areas of Interest: Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry, Stereochemistry, Reaction Mechanisms, Spectroscopy, Hands-On activities and demonstrations of Microscale Experiments, Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Sneha Naik
Areas of Interest: Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry, Stereochemistry, Reaction Mechanisms, Spectroscopy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Green Chemistry
- Daniel Coutinho
Areas of Interest: Solid State Chemistry, Coordination Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Colloidal Chemistry, Catalysis, Nanochemistry, Quantum Chemistry
1.To develop young talent for the chemical industry
2. To prepare students for higher studies and research
The department boasts of spacious and well maintained laboratories that
conform to all the safety norms, with sample fire extinguishers and safety devices
which have been installed to encounter any untoward eventuality.
Students can find opportunities in post-graduate programmes in Chemistry and interdisciplinary courses like M.Tech, M.Sc and M.C.A and the Ph.D degree in many prestigious institutions all over India and abroad.
The department provides opportunities to their students to participate in activities that fall outside the realm of the usual curriculum. Students participate in inter collegiate events based on the subject both within the state and outside.
- Careers in the teaching field
- Industries where chemistry is an important discipline leading to very rewarding and self-satisfactory careers .
- Research and development departments in Government and Private sectors.
The department routinely conducts quiz competition, ‘Magical Chemistry’ events Guest and Invited lectures by Professors/Scientists/Industrialists, Industrial Trips, trains the students to prepare oral presentations on the project work carried out by them, encourages students to conduct classroom seminars thereby promoting them to explore their interest in the subject to the highest potential.
Apart from the syllabus, the Department organizes on value added certificate courses in Cosmetology and Self –Defense for Women. Our department also ties up with MSME (micro small medium enterprise) which is a Government of Goa initiative to train students in setting up small scale industries in different fields.
The Department of Zoology has earned for itself intra and inter institutional peer recognition for its teaching programs, research, consultancy and extension activities.
The biodiversity research cell (BRC), an annexe of the department collaborates with many regional and national research institutions. Established in the year 2000 with a mandate of training our students in field biology and also documenting the biodiversity of the state, the BRC partners with regional and national institutes and agencies to impart ‘hands on’ experience in various specialized disciplines of Zoology like Conservation Biology, Food Microbiology and Fisheries. A dedicated school of Arachnology was established in the year 2010. Alumni of the department have been occupying academic and research positions in institutions across and outside the country. Two Faculty members, Dr. Manoj R. Borkar and Dr. Subhadra Devi Gadi are recognized guides of Goa University for research in the subject of Zoology leading to Ph.D degree. Centre for research in Zoology with facilities for doctoral research is established and affiliated to Goa University.
Faculty members have funded research projects in specialized areas of Zoology.
Dr. Subhadra Devi Gadi has expertise in the areas of Foraminaferan Taxonomy, Sea Food Microbiology, Hydrology and Marine Zoo-planktonology and has presented her research findings at various National and International Conferences. She is also the Head of the Department.
Dr. Manoj R Borkar is Fellow of the Indian Academy of Environmental science and a member of several statutory appellate authorities in the state. He is also the recipient of Goa state best Teacher Award in Higher Education 2015 and Bharat Ratna APJ Abdul Kalam Excellence National Award 2017. His areas of special interest include Biodiversity, Wildlife Biology, Industrial Ecology and Environment Impact Assessment. He is also visiting faculty at Several Institutes of higher learning such as PG dept of Zoology, Goa University, S.P Chowgule College, Institute Management Training and Research, Margao.
Mrs. Vinita D’Sa has special interest in the areas of Arachnology, Embryology, Anatomy and Animal Biotechnology.
Dr. Sr. Maria Lizanne A.C. her area of interest is Fish Product Technology, Animal Biotechnology & Soil Nematology.
Sensitization and capacity building towards appreciation, sustainable utilization and conservation of faunal resources.
- Complement classroom teaching with field exposure.
- Collaborate with academic and research institutes of national repute with ‘state of the art’ facilities in animal sciences.
- To liaison with employers for placement of our students in appropriate sectors; commensurating with the knowledge and skills in animal sciences imparted by us.
Our students are eligible to seek admission in Masters programs in Zoology in any Indian university recognized by UGC as also foreign universities for their vertical mobility.
Having completed graduation in the subject of Zoology, students have career opportunities in the following areas.
- Academics (School, Higher Secondary, College, University)
- Research opportunities in ICAR, NIO, Goa University, NCAOR, Department of Science and Technology
- Employment as scientific personnel in Goa State Pollution Control Board, Goa state Biodiversity Board, NGO Sector, Medical laboratories, Forest Department, Fisheries Department, Animal Husbandry and Poultry, as free lance naturalists, in ecotourism and Wildlife tourism.
- Freelance Consultants
The Department of Botany offers a three units and a six units major course. Highly experienced faculty, actively involved in research activities as well as curricular and co-curricular activities participate in seminars, workshops and conferences at the state and national level keeping themselves continuously updated.
FACULTY: Dr Mini Vijayan , Ms Meena Miranda e Verdes, Dr Divakar Mesta, Dr Puja Sakhalkar
- Well equipped laboratories including Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
- Use of audio-visual aids in teaching
- Regular field visits and study tours in and outside the state
- Botanical Garden & Museum
- Graduates can join as School Teachers
- Continue further studies to obtain Masters as well as Doctoral degrees
- Post-graduates can join as Lecturers in Higher Secondary Schools, Colleges and Universities.
- Post Graduates and Doctorates can select research as a career in different organizations such as National Institute of Oceanography (NIO), Botanical Survey of India (BSI), Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), etc.
- Administrative services such as Indian Forest Service (IFS) and Indian Administrative Service (IAS).
- Self employment opportunities as Landscape Gardeners, Florists, Horticulturists, Progressive farmers etc.
Mathematics is a subject offered at FYBSc and SYBSc . The faculty also takes lectures in Mathematical and Statistical Techniques in the Department of Commerce
Ms. Gladys Mony
Ms. Stella R. Menezes
The students are encouraged to do graduation in Mathematics for better job prospects.
In the networked world of today computers are an inextricable aspect of all our lives. Whether at work or play, in the home or market place, we rely on computer technology for the smooth functioning of our lives.
Computer science is a constantly evolving field that brings together varied disciplines that include mathematics, programming, engineering, the natural sciences, psychology, and linguistics. Knowledge of and comfort with working on computers is today an important life skill.
Established in the year 1994, the department teaches the application and allied uses of Computer Science ensuring that every Carmel student is ‘cyber savvy’!. The networked laboratory has fully equipped systems with internet facility. The Wi fi enabled campus encourages the students to widen their horizons to the global village.
- Solley Thomas – Associate Professor
Area of Specialization: Database Management, Data Mining, e Learning
- Surabhi Kudchadkar – Assistant Professor
The department offers various subjects with an objective to help them become industry ready while they complete their degree.Whatever may be their area of specialization, knowledge in the generic electives offered by the college in computer related subjects will be an added advantage to the students. Keeping this in mind, the following subjects under Generic Elective, for First year students of Arts, Science and Commerce streams are on offer.
- Computer Fundamentals and Emerging Technologies
- Cyber Spaces and Cyber Security
- IT Fundamentals
- Multimedia and Web design
- Computer Applications I & II
Each subject is supported by intensive practical sessions. Hands-on labs will enable the student to gain amiliarity with the respective software and applications introduced to them in the class. The students are divided into batches 20 students only, ensuring quality training to each one. The syllabus for each of the subjects is designed keeping in mind the value it can add to their degree and to enhance their career prospects.
- Students are encouraged to use the lab for project work, assignments and other course related work, without any additional charge.
- Internet and WiFi facility is provided to the students to enhance their academic performance by enabling them to find the latest literature on any topic.
The department faculty is up-to-date in imparting theoretical as well as practical knowledge in the field of computer applications. Faculty has initiated the official college website since 2006, keeps it constantly updated and also lends a hand in the IT related needs of the college.