In Physics it is our desire to understand the universe, to describe it and predict its behaviour through models, intensive observation, and meticulous experimentation.
If this fascination and curiosity strikes a chord within you, consider joining our department where we will help you to acquire the background knowledge and the skills you require in order to fulfil this desire.
The faculty members Mr. Rajendra, Dr Efrem D’Sa, Ms Pearl D’Souza and Ms. Amanda Saldanha are passionate about teaching and committed to equipping students to meet the challenges that contemporary society faces.
The laboratory is an integral part of the physics course, not merely a supplement to the classroom teaching. It is the place for students to measure and explore the natural world.
The department regularly organizes talks/lectures /programs for the students and staff. This academic year Dr. Tad Gonsalves, Associate professor, Faculty of Science & Technology, Sophia University, Tokyo was invited to deliver a talk on ‘Japan and the technological challenges of the future’. Experimental Demonstration of Scientific Principles’ by Prof. B. D.Chakradeo and A program on Astronomy and sky observation for staff and students were organized.
Besides, Physics Students are encouraged to participate in lecture series, workshops, conferences and seminars outside the campus. During the academic year, they participated in a two day’s workshop on Special theory of relativity at BITS-Pilani, Goa Campus, Lectures on various Physics topics at IAPT Convention, Bharatiya vigyan sammelan (Conference and Expo) of Vigyan Bharati and Technical Workshop on Atomic Energy by BARC at NIT. TYBSc Students participated in a 15 day the Refresher Course on Experimental Physics held by Indian Academy of Sciences at Goa University in October 2014.
One of the leading subjects in the pure sciences, chemistry offers the students an ideal platform to begin exploring the composition & structure of matter. The emphasis at the under-graduate level is to give a broad coverage of most common branches of Chemistry in keeping with the inter-disciplinary nature of the subject today. The Department currently has six well qualified teaching faculty, technical staff and support staff
Our Teaching Staff:
- Cheryl Alvares
Areas of Interest: Coordination Chemistry, Solid State Chemistry, Instrumentation and spectroscopic analysis, Organometallic Chemistry, Bio-Inorganic Chemistry, Transition metal complexes
- Fatima Fernandes
Areas of Interest: Electrochemistry, Nuclear Chemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Synthetic metal oxides, Solid State Chemistry, Phase Rule
- Savia Torres
Areas of Interest: Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry, Stereochemistry, Reaction Mechanisms, Spectroscopy, Hands-On activities and demonstrations of Microscale Experiments, Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Sneha Naik
Areas of Interest: Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry, Stereochemistry, Reaction Mechanisms, Spectroscopy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Green Chemistry
- Seneca Costa
Areas of Interest: Solid State Chemistry, Coordination Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Colloidal Chemistry, Catalysis
1.To develop young talent for the chemical industry
2. To prepare students for higher studies and research
The department boasts of spacious and well maintained laboratories that
conform to all the safety norms, with sample fire extinguishers and safety devices
which have been installed to encounter any untoward eventuality.
Students can find opportunities in post-graduate programmes in Chemistry and interdisciplinary courses like M.Tech, M.Sc and M.C.A and the Ph.D degree in many prestigious institutions all over India and abroad.
The department provides opportunities to their students to participate in activities that fall outside the realm of the usual curriculum. Students participate in inter collegiate events based on the subject both within the state and outside.
- Careers in the teaching field
- Industries where chemistry is an important discipline leading to very rewarding and self-satisfactory careers .
- Research and development departments in Government and Private sectors.
The department routinely conducts quiz competition, ‘Magical Chemistry’ events Guest and Invited lectures by Professors/Scientists/Industrialists, Industrial Trips, trains the students to prepare oral presentations on the project work carried out by them, encourages students to conduct classroom seminars thereby promoting them to explore their interest in the subject to the highest potential.
Apart from the syllabus, the Department organizes on value added certificate courses in Cosmetology and Self –Defense for Women. Our department also ties up with MSME (micro small medium enterprise) which is a Government of Goa initiative to train students in setting up small scale industries in different fields.
The department of Zoology has earned for itself intra and inter institutional peer recognition for its teaching programs, research, consultancy and extension activities.
Dr. Subhadra Devi Gadi has expertise in the areas of Foraminaferan Taxonomy, Sea Food Microbiology, Hydrology and Marine Zoo-planktonology and has presented her research findings at various National and International Conferences.
Dr. Manoj R Borkar is Fellow of the Indian Academy of Environmental Science and a member of several statutory appellate authorities in the state. His areas of special interest include Biodiversity, Wildlife Biology, Industrial Ecology and Environment Impact Assessment. He is also visiting faculty at Several Institutes of higher learning such as S.P Chowgule College, Institute Management Training and Research, Margao.
Mrs Vinita D’Sa has special interest in the areas of Arachnology, Embryology, Anatomy and Animal biotechnology.
Sr. Maria Lizanne A.C. Her area of interest is Fish Product Technology, Animal Biotechnology & Soil Nematology.
The Department aims to create a knowledge cadre of Zoology graduates with value addition, by imparting proficiency in field work, instrument handling, exposure to State of the art National Research Laboratories, Scientific Communications Skills and Sensitivity to Environmental Concerns.
Our students are eligible to seek admission in Masters programs in Zoology in any Indian University recognized by UGC as also foreign universities for their vertical mobility.
Having completed graduation in the subject of Zoology, students have career opportunities in the following areas.
- Academics (School, Higher Secondary, College, University)
- Research opportunities in ICAR, NIO, Goa University, NCAOR, Department of Science and Technology
- Employment as scientific personnel in Goa State Pollution Control Board, Goa State Biodiversity Board, NGO Sector, medical laboratories, Forest Department, Fisheries Department, Animal Husbandry and Poultry, as free lance naturalists, in ecotourism and wildlife tourism.
The Department of Botany offers a three units and a six units major course. Highly experienced faculty, actively involved in research activities as well as curricular and co-curricular activities participate in seminars, workshops and conferences at the state and national level keeping themselves continuously updated.
FACULTY: Dr Mini Vijayan , Dr Sulabha Phatak , Ms Meena Miranda e Verdes, Dr Divakar Mesta, Ms. Janice Flor Gracias
- Well equipped laboratories including Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
- Use of audio-visual aids in teaching
- Regular field visits and study tours in and outside the state
- Botanical Garden & Museum
- Graduates can join as School Teachers
- Continue further studies to obtain Masters as well as Doctoral degrees
- Post-graduates can join as Lecturers in Higher Secondary Schools, Colleges and Universities.
- Post Graduates and Doctorates can select research as a career in different organizations such as National Institute of Oceanography (NIO), Botanical Survey of India (BSI), Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), etc.
- Administrative services such as Indian Forest Service (IFS) and Indian Administrative Service (IAS).
- Self employment opportunities as Landscape Gardeners, Florists, Horticulturists, Progressive farmers etc.
Mathematics is a subject offered at FYBSc and SYBSc . The faculty also takes lectures in Mathematical and Statistical Techniques in the Department of Commerce
Ms. Gladys Mony
Ms. Divya R. Bandekar
The students are encouraged to do graduation in Mathematics for better job prospects.
Information Technology is a subject offered at first year BA, BSc and BCom. This subject caters to the IT related needs of our student community. The networked laboratory has fully equipped systems with internet facility. The WiFi enabled campus encourages the students to widen their horizons and help them to open the windows to the web world.
- Ms. Solley Thomas
Area of Specialization: Database Management, Data Mining, e Learning
- Sukanya Shetty: Lab Instructor
Information Technology is offered to the students of semester I & II of Arts, Science and Commerce. It has both a theoretical & practical component.
The objective of the course is:
- To equip students with the healthy practices and efficient use of information technology services, tools and modern devices.
- To understand the role of information technology in the present social and economic scenario.
Each student has to undergo practical sessions of 24 hrs in each semester. This gives the students a facility for hands on experience. Those students who successfully complete the required number of practical sessions and assignments are awarded certificates at the end of the year. This certificate adds value to their degree and enhances their career prospects
- Students are encouraged to use the lab for project work, assignments and other course related work, without any additional charge.
- Internet and WiFi facility is provided to the students to enhance their academic performance by enabling them to find the latest literature on any topic.
The faculty is qualified and up-to-date in imparting theoretical as well as practical knowledge in the field of Information Technology. The faculty of IT have initiated and maintains the official website of the college and also lends a hand in the IT related needs of the college, such as maintaining the biometric record of teachers.